We set six targets for our Deep Roots 2020 Strategy:
• Build 40 responsible sourcing projects
• Reach 100,000 farmers directly through our projects
• Improve the livelihoods of 250,000 farmers
• Work with 20 key suppliers in our Naturals Together strategic platform
• Involve 50 suppliers in a continuous improvement program
• Impact 100 supply chains
Our results include:
• Developing inclusive business by forming cooperatives, ensuring market security, establishing a fair price mechanism and encouraging direct sourcing
• Implementing sustainable agriculture practices by creating intercropping opportunities and building nurseries to provide seedlings
• Improving primary transformation of raw materials by upgrading to more efficient and environmentally friendly distillation equipment
• Caring for local communities by supporting education, health, biodiversity, and finance initiatives
• Partnering with suppliers, non-profits, government agencies and customers, when relevant
Deep Roots 2020 is managed by Firmenich experts in natural raw materials and integrated into our overall sourcing strategy. In FY17, we established a structured and global responsible sourcing organization to establish a physical presence on the ground at all our Deep Roots projects. These colleagues collaborate locally with our suppliers, producers, smallholder farmers, NGOs, and governments to develop responsible sourcing programs more easily and conduct regular in-person assessments to make sure they are on track.
The Deep Roots team, along with their sourcing partners, constantly share experiences, challenges, and best practices to move toward more sustainable supply chains. In February 2017, the team met in Grasse, France, to discuss local certifications, our renewed commitment to the Union for Ethical Biotrade (UEBT), and the human rights assessment of our Naturals supply chain.