FIRMENICH SETS INDUSTRY-LEADING 2020 ENVIRONMENTAL GOALS
$15 million Investment in Renewable Energy Supports Carbon Neutral Vision
Geneva, Switzerland, January 25, 2016 – Confirming its leadership in sustainability, Firmenich is proud to announce its ambitious Environmental Goals for 2020. To pursue its vision of becoming a carbon neutral company, the leading Fragrance and Flavor House, will invest $15 million in renewable energy, in order to double the current level of on-site electricity generated from renewable sources.
“I am excited to be announcing our 2020 Environmental Goals as they reflect our vision to become a Carbon Neutral company,” says Gilbert Ghostine, CEO Firmenich. “Our planned $15 million investment in renewable energy confirms our commitment to lead the charge for our industry.”
“Firmenich has a 120-year heritage of leading its business responsibly as evidenced by our deep commitment to lead in Sustainability,” explains David Shipman, Group Vice President, Corporate Compliance and Sustainability. “I am very proud of the achievements we delivered from 2010 to 2015 across all of our environmental metrics and look forward to taking our performance to its next level by 2020.”
By 2020, Firmenich aims to reach:
- 100% of electricity from renewable sources or offset
- Zero waste to landfill for 100% of manufacturing sites
- 20% reduction in absolute CO2 emissions
- 25% decrease of water use in water stressed areas
- 15% reduction in waste generation
- Zero refrigerant R22 used
- From 2010 to 2015, Firmenich reported:
- 20,000 tonne decrease in absolute Scope 1 and 2 CO2 emissions;
- 12 percent decrease in energy use; and a
- 13 percent decrease in water use.
Gilbert Ghostine is honored that Firmenich’s leadership in Sustainability was acknowledged in 2015 by a number of prestigious distinctions. These endorsements are the result of the hard work and commitment of the Group’s 7000 colleagues around the world and are consistent with the Group’s Shareholders’ expectations. In 2015,Firmenich was proudly recognized by:
- The DuPont Safety and Sustainability award for operational excellence in the Americas;
- The Ethical Corporation’s Award for “Head of Sustainability of the Year” to Dr. Bérangère Margarinos-Ruchat, Firmenich, Vice President of Sustainability Partnerships;
- Also, the Company achieved its strategic goal to certify all 25 of its manufacturing sites in full compliance with Environmental (ISO 14001) and Occupational Health & Safety (OHSAS 18001) Management Systems Standards.
Firmenich is the world’s largest privately-owned company in the fragrance and flavor business. Founded in Geneva, Switzerland, in 1895, it has created many of the world’s best-known perfumes and flavors that billions of consumers enjoy each day. Its passion for smell and taste is at the heart of its success. It is renowned for its world-class research and creativity, as well as its thought leadership in sustainability and exceptional understanding of consumer trends. Each year, it invests 10% of its turnover in R&D, reflecting its continuous desire to understand, share and sublimate the best that nature has to offer. Firmenich had an annual turnover of 3.0 billion Swiss Francs at end June 2015.